How to run a Skunkworks
1. The Project Manager has complete authority and control to run the project.
2. The Project Office will be small but staffed with very strong people.
3. Restrict the number of people on the project.
4. Minimize the number of reports. Conduct a monthly cost review.
5. The Project Manager has responsibility for managing his subcontractors.
6. Pay is based on performance.
7. Rewards are given for successful completion.
8. The Hardware and Software spec must be agreed upon before beginning Phase C/D.
9. Use an approved inspection system - but make inspection the responsibility of the subcontractor.
10. Simplify the drawing release system to maintain greater flexibility in making changes.
Return to Tools Page here.